Winter Coffee Cake
Recipe courtesy of Tiffani Thiessen
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/4 cups greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- powdered sugar, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 cup loaf pan.
In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined. Add vanilla bean paste and greek yogurt and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, taking care to fill them no more than three-quarters full. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove the cake from pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely, about 20 minutes more. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Photography by Rebecca Sanbria