Recipe courtesy of Tiffani Thiessen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh peas, or defrosted frozen peas
- 1 bunch pencil asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 baby radishes, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- Pea tendrils, if available or chopped fresh herbs like dill, parsley or basil
- Edible flowers
- Zest of 1 lemon
In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer. (You’re just keeping the broth warm while you prepare the risotto).
In a large high-sided skillet or saucepot, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, another 30 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook until it is lightly toasted and starts to turn opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until it’s almost completely evaporated, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add a ladleful of the warm stock and stir continuously until the stock has been almost completely absorbed. Repeat this step until the rice is al dente – tender but still firm to the bite – and creamy, about 40 minutes. You may not use all the stock. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring a small pot of lightly salted water to a boil and have an ice bath at the ready. When the water is boiling add the fresh peas and asparagus and cook for about 2 minutes or until the veggies are tender and bright green. Remove immediately to the ice bath.
To serve, ladle the risotto into bowls. Top with the blanched peas and asparagus, sliced radish, pea tendrils, edible flowers and lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Photography by Rebecca Sanabria